It is our intent for DT to offer children the chance to use creative thinking and design within a defined purpose with tangible outcome. Through Design Technology the children are encouraged to identify, examine and solve practical problems and to improve designs for the user. The children are encouraged to invent, using a wide range of materials and tools, thus developing, modifying and evaluating their ideas through a series of projects. Using focus tasks and topic based projects children draw on disciplines such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art.
Opportunities to work alongside Computer Lego experts, STEM ambassadors and museum workshops are offered to enhance the learning experience.
Aims of Design and Technology
We aim to ensure that all pupils:
- Develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate in an increasingly technological world.
- Build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make prototypes and products for a wide range of users.
- Develop the ability to control materials, tools and techniques.
- Select from and use a wider range of materials and components, including construction materials, textiles and ingredients, according to their functional properties and aesthetic qualities.
- Understand and use mechanical systems and electrical systems in their products.
- Confident to take risks, solve problems and adapt designs.
- Critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others.
- Evaluate designs from the past and present and evaluate its impact on daily life.
- Understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
Please click on the image below to see how Design and Technology is planned across our school.